Saturday 11 August 2012

Rayleigh, Leigh and a figure drawing workshop



I got to run a figure drawing workshop this afternoon for Southend Art Club which was really great went really well.  We had fantastic weather which was fortunate as it would have been a bit cramped if we'd had to go inside and use our cottage.   We had well over 30 people attending and it ran the whole afternoon from 12pm till 4.30pm.  Towards the end of the afternoon they asked if I would do a longer drawing demonstration so I drew in charcoal for about 40 minutes.



Rayleigh High Street

Pastel Pencil and Charcoal   A2 size

Earlier in the week I completed this pastel pencil and charcoal drawing of Rayleigh High Street. 


I started the drawing weeks ago as a line drawing demonstration using black pastel pencil for my two classes I hold in Rayleigh on Tuesdays.   Anyway I was really enjoying the drawing and enjoying working a bit bigger than I have been of late so I decided to see if I could complete it so it's been progressing a little bit each week in 15 - 20 minute busts during my lunch breaks for the past few weeks.   After I completed the line drawing I started to wonder how it would look if I started to introduce some tones so I got out the charcoal.   Last week when I was drawing I had a woman come along asking why I keep drawing this same view saying and saying she didn't think it was a particularly interesting view.  I was a bit gobsmacked so I put my mind to completing it this week .  This week I had a chap come up to me and ask if I did commission so that felt a lot better


To the beach

Oil on board 4" x 6"

This little one which is almost complete was started as a little figure painting demo for the small class I teach from home on Wednesday afternoons.  It's of the view from the window at Leigh Sailing club where I hold my classes on Wednesday mornings.   I love looking out of the window and seeing all the folk going by on their way to and from the beach so I'm always  taking of photos of them with a view one day painting them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment